Thursday, January 17, 2013

SWA 1- A bit about myself / (e)denity


My name is Michael Walsh. I am currently a freshman at the University of South Carolina studying Biomedical Engineering. I am from Wilmington, Delaware and graduated from Salesianum School, an independent catholic all male school. My family, friends and religious life are the most important aspects of my life. I enjoy watching and playing sports, hanging out with friends, driving and working on my car, but most importantly skiing. A quote that applies to the reason I love skiing is “You put on your boots, click into your bindings, dust the snow off your skis, and head out for the chair, and it doesn't matter that you failed a test, didn't get the girl, or that your life is on a one way trip down the gutter, your world is right for the next couple of hours.” In terms of “edenity”, I am always conscious of what I post on the Internet that reflects my beliefs and myself. I use social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Sometimes I feel an urge to post a certain picture or message but I refrain because I don’t want everyone to be able to see it and the fact that essentially once it’s posted it’s out there forever. I daily check a few websites including Newschoolers, a ski website, CNN for news and also Yahoo for interesting articles. I have an IPhone, so I am always in contact with the Internet, which I feel has some positives and negatives. Information is always readily available at my fingertips, however it reduces my personal interactions and also promotes a feeling of instant gratification with information that can make other long and tiresome tasks especially difficult to overcome. In this English 102 class, I hope to learn about the influences of media on my edenity and how it can reflect myself either in a good light or damage my reputation. 

1 comment:

  1. You make some interesting observations here. I understand your point about instant gratification--receiving information instantly from online definitely seems to change how we perceive slower means to be annoying, or if technology doesn't work, how frustrating that can be. Hopefully we'll be talking about this topic more in discussion.

    ReplyDelete