Friday, April 19, 2013

SWA 8


For the assignment SWA # 8, instead of class, we were asked to prepare materials for the final project and review past essays. In addition, we have to read through a few of our peers’ blogs and read the posts that caught our attention. It was quite interesting because you can learn a lot about a person’s personality or viewpoints on certain matters. Therefore, you can determine their (e)denity. Based, on their articles I can the person’s interests and what subjects or current event topics peak their interest. For example, Alex Cesna has a certain interest or curiosity regarding guns and the gun control movement. Just by reading through his papers you can uncover that he genuinely doesn’t believe guns should be banned and that it violates an inherent right as a citizen of the United States. Brooke Miller, seems to want equality for all, especially when it comes to the legality of marriage in the United States. It is very awesome to me, because just by reading my classmate’s blogs I can learn more about them as a person that allows me to realize what they are thinking about and potentially connect with them as friends on a deeper level. In addition it is quite interesting for me, because I am from the North and it is intriguing realizing how differently people think or stand on some current event issues. It gives me some insight on their upbringing and the different culture down south compared to back home, which allows me to appreciate everyone’s opinion and see where they are coming from in a sense. Based on their blogs what I can determine in terms of their ethos or credibility as rhetors is that they are completing the assignments in a primary academic tone. Since I know the assignments, I have a biased approach to determining the ethos or credibility, however the academic tone signifies that they are trying to establish that they are a reliable and trustable source of information. In addition, they all use appeals to pathos and logos to reinforce the ethos while connecting to their ideal audience. Thereby, it establishes the exigence of the piece and connects to the audience to bring about a change based on the particular aspect of stasis theory. To an outsider reading the posts, they can determine by the title that it is in fact an academic blog that already helps to establish the ethos. Plus, with the incorporation of sources that are credible it would seem that the posts are reliable and the audience is able to trust the information presented.

Looking back at my own page, I can determine that I present my (e)denity of caring about obesity in America and the problems of sexual assault on college. It can be determined that I am in college because my issues all relate back to problems associated with or in college.  It has changed the way I think about technology in my life, because this is my first ever blog, which I think is interesting and I like that I am able to post information about myself on the Internet. I want to continue to do this into the future. I haven’t noticed any changes in my writing, however I have uncovered new strategies to connect to my audience and make appeals to them to believe in my argument and hopefully persuade them to help me make change in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment